Saturday, March 6, 2010

Maternity clothes/Mommyhood

Today I made my first maternity clothes purchase. I had my heart set on going to old navy and when I called to confirm they still had their maternity section, I was informed they got rid of it. So I ventured out to Target and on my way there I spotted an A&W and quickly pulled over and inhaled a bacon cheeseburger, small fries and a root beer float while sitting in my car in the parking lot. If you know me well, you know that I do not eat a burger without dissecting it first. I remove the bun, wipe the sauce off, throw away the tomato and half the onion, eat the pickles separately and then I eat the patty with a knife and fork. Well, something hormonal and strange came over me and for the first time in my life I ate the entire burger, bun and all, like a regular person.... And I loved it!



Then I finally made it to Target and bought a pair of work pants, 4 tops, 2 pairs of jeans and a dress. That will last me a few days. I'll have to go back for round 2 on pay day next week. Good thing my sister will be in town to help me shop. I'll be buying Lauren some clothes too.


I was thinking recently and I wanted to get something off my chest about the way I have been treated in this pregnancy. I wanted to talk about the different types of women I have encountered. There are two types of moms. Advice moms and pity moms. The advice moms are the ones I usually tend to hate. They are the ones who when engaged in conversation about my pregnancy/labor/babyhood they will literally tear your heart open with horror stories and comments that force even your toes to cringe with disgust and panic. These women seem to think that it is their job to educate you on all of the awful things that will happen to you. They tell you that you're life is over. They tell you how fat you will get. They tell you that you'll never sleep again. They tell you to suck it up because it's utterly impossible to have it worse than they had it....obviously. They seem to want to bring you down because, hmmm I don't know, maybe they were shocked about what they went through and they feel a little Snidely Whiplash about it like now it's their turn to haze a new mommyhood member. I'm not sure I understand these women because most of the time, I don't know these women very well. They seem to just sniff you out just to ruin your day.


Then there are the pity moms. Those are the moms that never tell you any of the bad stuff. They just look at you with their sad pity eyes because they've been there and they know what you're going through and they know better than to piss you off. Because they know that there's nothing they can say to help you and there's no point in telling you what to expect because it may scare you or anger you and no one wants to be on the receiving end of an angry pregnant woman... except the advice moms above. These women are gracious and polite and they are the ones that will hug you and cheer you along when you are feeling at your worst. I hope to be one of these moms after this kid is out. I know I do a lot of complaining about this pregnancy, but underneath all the cynical ramblings lies an amazing gratitude of being given this responsibility. I posses a very real appreciation for the beauty of this experience because I have lived through the pain of having had it taken away. So after this baby is born and it's my turn to pass the torch, I will be sure to approach the next woman with dignity and support. I will answer her questions honestly but I will never intend to gross her out or make her cry like women have done to me. And for that reason I will not be reading any literature on labor or delivery and I will not be making a birth plan. I don’t want to know what it will be like and I don’t want to try to prepare myself because it will just make me anxious and nervous and cry and neither of us need that now do we?


Honestly Pregnant,
Jen

No comments: