Thursday, March 18, 2010

27 weeks

Today is my 27th week. Tom started working on the baby room yesterday. He did some prep work and painting. He'll do a second coat on the trim this weekend. We're also picking up the hand-me-down rocking chair from his grandparents this weekend. It needs some refurbishing but it will be a nice addition to her room. I intend to hit the consignment shop on the way home to see if we can find any treasures. I'm all about recycling so I don't care if something is new or used as long as it's clean and safe and works properly.


So here I am in the third trimester. It's been quite a long road. I had a lot of women tell me when you aren't trying to get pregnant and you suddenly discover you are pregnant at 2 or 3 months, it seems like it flies by. And the same people said for their pregnancies when they found out right away, it seemed like an eternity till the end. Plus I assume being a first time mom it's going to seem longer because it's all new and uncharted and you don't know what to expect and you panic at everything. My least favorite thing is the time frame between doctors appointments. I feel like they are going to forget who I am. It takes FOREVER! I'm always convinced my chart will be covered in dusty cobwebs when I finally get there and they'll say "wow you're still pregnant?". I just can't stand all this waiting. And I have to be uncomfortable and fat while I wait which doesn't make it easier. Tom said to me "well it's only 3 months". Only??? What if you ONLY had a migraine for 3 months?? Huh? Yeah I thought so. Well at least I have the last of my monthly appointments coming up next week and then it will be every 2 weeks! YAY!


As you can see, I'm not very good in situations where I don't feel in control of my body and my surroundings. So this whole pregnancy thing is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done. I know kids will be even harder but that's a step I'll have to work up to and create a new normal for me and my family. I'm preparing myself for a breakdown of which I can't even imagine the severity. It's not that I'm not ready, I just have an anxiety disorder and that's just something I have to live with and work around.
 
 
I'm starting to think about what to pack for the hospital.  When should i have that stuff ready? And what was in your hospital bag? I need good tips, Mamas!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My advice: Pack ASAP, I waited till the last minute and then when my bag of water broke at 37 weeks I panicked and threw stuff in a bag last minute. If you start now, you can make sure you have everything you need. And as it gets closer you can toss in the clothes that fit you at the time and then you wont have to worry about missing something or rushing at the last minute.
Aleah

Anonymous said...

You might as well get your bag packed now, so it's just one less thing to worry about. Buy double of all your essential toiletries (toothbrush/paste, shampoo, hair stuff, moisturizer, makeup kit, etc) and pack that along with comfy sweats/pjs, nursing bra, underwear, maxi pads, going home outfit for you and baby...I found a sleep mask to be very helpful because you want to be able to nap every chance you get and it's never really dark in your hospital room even at night. Also, take a pack of baby wipes, the hospital may not provide them, and if they do it's like a really tiny pack. And take the Boppy too. I think that's about it. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
It made me sad to read your last post about feeling lonely. Pregnancy is really really really hard--physically and emotionally. And you do have to do it all by yourself and I know how that can make you feel isolated. Probably the main reason that I do not want to have any more kids is because I definitely DO NOT want to go through another pregancy. But you'll get through it and in the end you'll have the love of your life and you'll be her mommy--and there's nothing better than that. Hang in there! Pamper yourself--get a pregancy massage! Also, you and Tom should plan a nice, relaxing wknd getaway...could be something to look forward to before Lauren arrives. Love you and can't wait to see you next month!--Jenny:)

Missy said...

When I had my boys I didn't pack and went into early labor (27 weeks). So my husband packed a bag for me LOL, alot of stuff I would have packed was not in there. When I had Isabella I started packing the begining of my 3rd trimester. A little everyday and made sure I didn't forget anything. Camera, clothes for both of us, reading material, baby book, hair ties, etc. by the time I was done packing it looked like I was going on vacation. I feel better to have to much than not enough. Good luck you're going to do awesome!!!
Missy

Missy said...

I would start now...you can add little by little. Then when it's time you will have everything you need or want. Clothes for both of you, reading material, baby book, camera's, ipod, hair ties, shampoo & conditioner, soap, toothpaste, snacks, pillow(always liked having my own), anything you think you'll need to make this the best experince for you. I looked like I was going on vacation when I was done. Good luck, you'll do great!!!!