Tuesday, March 23, 2010

All before 9am

5:30am- My morning began. I quickly got ready as fast as possible, skipping a shower as I had showered the night before in order to coordinate morning routines and bathroom time with Tom. I ran out the door into the rainy dark gross spring morning with my umbrella and tip toed through about 6,000 slimy earthworms all over the road.

6:00am- I took the T and rode 45 mins all the way to work in complete darkness. I really hate this time of year and all the darkness.

7:00am- I made it downtown with enough time to drop my lunch off in the office fridge and run back across the street to Quest diagnostics for my (queue doom music...dum dum dum) glucose test. I was already sick to my stomach from the anxiety of having to drink this awful stuff and have blood taken. Add onto that the fact that I'm pregnant, hungry and tired equals one big belly ache. I had made a 7:20 appointment and of course they only have one person working that morning and she takes a walk-in at 7:18 right before my appointment. Not sure how that's fair but I wait..... Finally she takes me 15 mins later. Then she informs me that I may not leave until my whole hour is up. Really? I can't walk across the street and get a magazine? Get real lady I'm not some street punk taking a drug test. I came here voluntarily. When I took this test at 12 weeks I was allowed to leave.

7:30am- So i'm in the room finally and I drink the second most disgusting drink ever disguised as a fruity orange flavor explosion. It makes me want to vomit the moment it hits my lips. Quest nazi stares at me and taps her pen while I drink it. Finally I finish and apologize for taking so long and I leave to go to the waiting room where there's no magazines and it smells like chemicals so bad I start to get dizzy. It's a new building so all the carpeting, wallpaper and woodwork is all new. And it smells new. Like really really overwhelmingly new. I plug my nose and close my eyes and try not to throw up.

8:00am- 30 minutes pass and I can't take it anymore. I decide to get up and take a bathroom break. The moment I stand up, it hits me....hard. The nausea was so overwhelming but I kept telling myself "don't throw up, don't throw up..". I walked down the longest hallway ever built and locate the bathroom. As soon as I opened the door my eyes immediately focus on the cup of pee sitting on the toilet paper dispenser. That was enough for me. I spun around and slammed the door shut. Now i'm alone with the pee so I try to breathe away the nausea. It didn't work. I walked over to the pee cup and covered it with toilet paper so I couldn't see it. Then I leaned over and threw up just a tiny bit. I straightened back up and then like a tidal wave, i threw up the rest of the entire drink. Wow I have never felt such a rush of relief in my life. I started furiously texting my sister for advice. What do I do? Do I tell? Do I pretend it didn't happen? Do I really care? I would have to reschedule and do this thing all over again. But what if I just shrug my shoulders and get the blood drawn and keep my mouth shut?? Will I die of diabetes if I mess up the test? Wow. This was a tough decision. I left the bathroom and went and sat back down in the waiting room and started looking online for advice. I found some websites saying you definitely have to redo the test if you throw up. But they were talking about throwing up immediately, not 40 mins later. Then I found a website that said as long as you kept it down long enough for your body to process the sugar you don't have to redo it. Hmmmmm. So I kept my mouth shut.

8:30am- I gave my blood and left without a word.

8:45am- Yum! Free pastry day at Starbucks.

It's over 8 hours later and I am still nauseas from that damn drink. I don't think I could possibly ever drink that stuff again. I'm going to wait for the results and see if it is a suspiciously low number. If it's really low I will fess up. But I honestly think I kept it down long enough. My doctors appointment is tomorrow. For now I will just not worry about it and sit back and continue to listen to enjoy the feeling my lil girl dance around in my belly. Stake it UK, lauren!!

Honestly Pregnant,
Jen

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hopefully everything will turn out ok for you. I'm sure the free Starbucks pastry helped :) I totally hope Lauren plays soccer. She's got to be practicing with all the kicking going on!

Love you!

PinkChica said...

I have a chronic illness (cystic fibrosis) and have had to do yearly 2-hour fasting glucose tests since I was 16. It's always miserable, especially since they always seem to "forget" to put the drinks in the fridge so the "syrup" ends up being warm. I didn't realize how much more horrible it would be while pregnant though... I figured I was used to it by now. Sorry you had such a horrible experience! I have thankfully managed to keep my 2 down as horrid as it's been. Thankfully they were cold, and can I say, in my opinion, lemon-lime is sooo much better than orange!!