Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Storm

I haven't written in a while due to the huge snow storm. I was displaced from my home when we lost heat and power for 4 days and I am still getting situated back in. It really threw me off. I don't know if it was the hormones but I cried like I was on my deathbed. The power went out friday feb 5th around 8pm. The snow was really coming down hard. I saw the sparking power line in the street after it fell. We called 911 because it was dangerous. To our ignorance we were 1 of about 200,000 who lost power that weekend. So we waited for the trucks to come fix it and were amazed when no one showed up. We tried a fire in the fireplace with the wet wood from the snowy backyard and ended up almost killing our lungs with smoke inhalation for the next 3 hours. We finally wised up and went to a hotel for the night. As soon as we laid down for bed I got an automated call on my phone telling me our power was back. So first thing in the morning we packed up and dug the car out and drove home. There was no power anywhere around us somehow. No cars on the road. Nothing was plowed. It was freaky. We couldn't get the car up the road and left it at the bottom of our street and waded through the thigh high deep snow up to the house. When we got inside we saw that the power was indeed not back on. Our neighbors told us it came back on briefly and went back out. The thermostat read 50 degrees. We decided to try the fireplace thing again now that the wood had a chance to dry overnight. Again our house filled with smoke so badly I thought I would pass out. After about 5 cycles of opening all the windows and doors to air the place out we realized this was backfiring majorly so we packed up again and went to Tom's sisters house. Thankfully she still had power. We stayed there the next 2 nights. We made a million trips back home to shut the water off, get clothes, empty our fridge, rescue the cat and made a muddy mess throughout the whole house. I looked at the thermostat at one point and it read 36 degrees. I called off work monday because I didn't have a way to get there. Then our power finally came back on that night!! We got home late because of the weather and picking up the cat. All I had time to do was sleep. We both called off tuesday and spent the day snow blowing, shoveling, doing laundry, washing the smoky smell out of the curtains, bedding, couch, carpets and clothes. I did laundry from 10am to 7pm. Tom snow blowed for 3 hours. We got almost 3 feet of snow. Then tuesday night storm #2 blew in. That was the night my bro-in-law braved the storm and drove in from upstate NY to go to a hockey game with Tom. He helped with more snow blowing thank goodness while I was at work and tom was off again. He stayed 2 nights and left this morning. So now I'm home at last, hoping everything is back to normal. And hoping the tree down the street that fell on the power line doesn't shift at all and snap the wire. I don't want to lose my power again. I will fall apart.

22 weeks today.



Honestly pregnant,

Jen

No comments: