Monday, February 22, 2010

Lazy Sunday (AKA: easy like Sunday morning)


Yesterday was spent in my pjs researching online. I updated my Target registry and researched breast pumps which are quite expensive for the real deal. I looked at all the comments and consumer reports and found that a manual pump is basically for rare travel use, a battery powered pump is for occasional use and an electric pump is for everyday use. I chose the electric pump because it can get the job done in 10-15 mins as opposed to the 30mins-1hr that the manual and battery pumps can do. The electric pump mimics a baby suckling by starting off slow and then gradually increasing as if it were mimicing the suck/swallow gulps toward the end of the feeding. It also is better because you don't have to constantly buy or recharge batteries and it won't lose suction. It seems perfect for a pump 'n' go mom as she goes back to work. They are about $280 but it seems like an investment well worth it.




I also attempted to casually look online on tips to clean a used crib mattress and was absolutely floored with what I found. Apparently SIDS is thought to be caused by the flame retardent chemicals in a mattress interacting with mold which is obviously found in used mattresses. It supposedly turns to a toxic gas when the chemicals interact with the mold and the baby breathes it in and it acts as a nerve gas and the baby just stops living!!!! So I mentioned my concern to Tom over the used mattress we were given and he said I was over-reacting and we can't afford a new mattress for her and I have to stop reading things online that scare me. But I don't think he understands this is life or death. I refuse to put my child on that old mattress. I am getting her a new mattress with my own money and then buying a plastic zippered cover to keep the chemicals away from her body and then I will put a well washed, well vacuumed mattress pad over top of the plastic and I will wash her crib sheets at least 3 times before putting them on the bed. I had read once about how flame retardant things are supposed to save your childs life and yet they are horribly toxic. Babies lick everything. Why would they put chemicals on everything??? Uggghh!!! Although later on, Tom and I did have a good laugh picturing an unharmed happy baby sitting on a flame-free mattress surrounded by a ring of fire as sparks fly onto the mattress and sizzle out. It's probably the most ridiculous waste of chemicals and laws I've ever heard. If my childs room catches on fire, I'm sure she'll die of smoke inhalation long before the fire even makes it over to her bed. But I guess we could pull the mattress out of the ash and use it for our next kid. Haha!

Ok its not really funny.

Honestly,
Jen

No comments: