Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Circus Freak Clothes

I started packing my suitcase yesterday. Here is a list of the contents:


Toothbrush
Travel Sensodyne (thanks Kim)
1 pack of the worlds largest pads
1 pink going home outfit for Lauren

I should probably invest some time and put a few more things in there. Problem is, I have no idea what type of clothes to pack for myself. Is the hospital going to make me wear a hospital gown? Should I bring my own nightgown? I don't own one because I'm not a nightgown person. The last time I wore a nightgown it had a picture of New Kids On The Block on it. I'd really rather wear yoga pants or sweat pants. I'm not sure I really care what the hospital wants me to wear. It's not really about them. It's about me and keeping my legs and southern places warm and cozy. I'd also really like to keep anything with a giant gaping bleeding hole as covered as I possibly can.

In spite of the packing dilemma, I still haven't really thought much about the hospital. I assume I'll just cry the whole time anyway. I'm hoping it will all be a painful blur and all my memory will hold is the moment I see my daughter onward. Even after that point, the general lifelong insomnia I suffer will probably kick in and cause more fatigue than ever thought possible. I can't sleep in hotels so I'm sure a hospital complete with a semi-private roommate, hospital machines, a non-dark room, strange chemical smells, and , oh yeah a crying baby will get in the way just a bit.


Today my belly button decided to start hurting like a pinching bruising kind of pain. It's really more annoying and perplexing than painful. I would say it's ligament pain but it's centered suspiciously perfect at my belly button and no where else. Plus I haven't felt ligament pain at all for the last 7 and a half months. Why start now? I'm sure that's a question I will regret asking as this journey gets closer to the end. I'd really like to get this over with by the way. I would like my body back. And no, veteran moms, I did not mean I want my figure back. I meant I don't feel like sharing a tummy space anymore. I want to lay on my stomach and breathe freely and drink rum. And I'd really love to give up these silly looking pants. I had a co-worker say to me today "it's about time you started wearing maternity clothes". Well FYI I've been wearing maternity clothes buddy, just not big tent clothes that previous generations were subjected to. Except today, the shirt I'm wearing is too big for me so I look like a total slob. Apparently I look typically pregnant in my circus freak clothes. I promise never to wear this tent top again. Back to my fitted shirts after this. I promise.

Tomorrow I will brave walking the long walk up a giant staircase, over the river and back down another staircase across a huge parking lot to a Pirates baseball game. I'm sure my next post will be about how much back pain I am in so stay tuned. 

Honestly,
Jen

3 comments:

Alexis said...

one thing you may want which I didn't think I would want at all is... depends. haha I know sounds funny but I didn't wear real underwear for a couple weeks. these were comfy. and you could put pads inside. good luck packing, I only stayed for 5 hours after jack was born, so I didn't bring much knowing I probably wouldn't stay long.

PinkChica said...

Check out http://www.girliegowns.com

There are other cheaper versions online if you search. I'm thinking about getting one of these myself... I figure it might help me feel a little more comfortable and "at home" if I don't have to be in an ugly, pre-worn hospital gown.

Karen said...

You should totally pack clothes you will be comfortable in. Yoga pants are super comfy and will keep you warm.
From talking with other moms, they don't seem to care what you wear, you don't have to wear a hospital gown. I would get out of it as soon as possible!!

Love you sis!!