Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Breastfeeding all the live long day

I had a breast feeding class today through work. They had a lactation consultant come in and give us the run down. Things like yes, you have to devote your entire day and night to feeding this child. No, you may not sleep. Yes, it's easy. No, it doesn't hurt (uhh yeah right). And I suppose we learned other important things along the way. I left with four pages of hand written notes all about breast milk storage, latch positions and health benefits. But all that stuck out in my mind was what I already knew....The act of feeding a newborn baby will pretty much take all the live long day (and night). In case you aren't familiar with just how long that is, think about your most anxious stressed out time of your life. Then imagine staying awake day after day after day in that emotional state. At least that's what I am imagining. If you're already a mommy then you know what that's all about. And I'm sure you have the memory but not the actual feeling, as I have forgotten just exactly how it felt to be so morning/evening/night sick that I was about an inch from wishing a bath of hot coals on myself just so I could feel something less painful. I have the memory of it but I can't conjure up that exact razor sharp pain of constantly expelling everything my stomach touched. I've heard a few people tell me food poisoning was worse than giving birth. That statement gives me incredible hope because if I made it through six weeks of phantom food poisoning then I can handle labor as easy as Michelle Duggar with her trap door vagina.




I have another baby class tonight at the pediatricians office. Tom and I will go to that one together. I didn't really pay attention to what the class was about when I signed up. I just saw the word free and jumped on the list. I really just wanted to scope out the peds office to see if this is the place I'll be comfortable taking my tiny fragile little baby girl so they can torture her with sharp needles and cold stethescopes. I don't really know what I am looking for in a pediatrician. I would rather have a woman, as most strange men over the age of forty generally give me bad vibes. But other than breasts I guess I'm looking for someone who doesn't talk to me like I'm 18 years old since apparently that's how old I look to most humans. I'm also looking for a compassionate doctor who takes the time to explain something as if I'm the first person to ever have a child with chicken pox, who doesn't just diagnose things over the phone and write a prescription and walk away. If only my dentist could be my daughters pediatrician then we'd be all set since he's the sweetest caring person I have ever met in the doctor world. Shout out to Dr. Nerrone! The only other thing I am looking for in a doctor is the ability to work side by side with me to raise this child. Someone to treat me as an equal who understands my mommy instincts and won't push things on me if I don't feel ready. Someone who will allow me to refuse a service if I don't feel it's necessary or right for my daughter. I wonder if this fairy tale doctor even exists.

Honestly Pregnant,
Jen

3 comments:

Alexis said...

Good luck finding that pedi!! I want that also and have yet to find her/him! But I also am trapped in military healthcare.
About the breastfeeding... it does hurt in the beginning, but as Jack learned what he was doing, it got better. He is actually nursing right now, so you will learn to multitask with it. I love nursing him and am so thankful we have had no complications!

Missy said...

The feeding will come naturally. It's like a switch turns on right after you have her and you know what to do. The first few days you will feel as if your are nursing 24/7. She'll let you know what she needs. Sleep was a worry for me but I guess our Mommy hormones kick in and we don't need it as much. Just try to sleep when she does even if it is 2pm.

There is a cream that Medela makes for nipples works great so you don't get sore or chapped. Didn't know about it when I had my guys but LOVED it with Bella. It's safe for them to nurse with it on you.

As for Dr. my husband doesn't listen to them he says to follow my instinct a mother knows her child better than anyone else. Stand your ground!!! There have been times the Dr. wanted to give my kids an antibiotic for " I think it might be strep throat" well if you don't know they aren't taking it.
It really comes down to trust your first instinct.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog, I totally enjoyed it! I have always had terrible OCD, but once the baby comes you'll remind yourself which choice is more important and slowly adjust yourself accordingly ie clean the kitchen immediately, or spend 15 precious minutes with a child who just wants your attention...then clean the kitchen of course. My home is still clean and I am still OCD, but not to the point where my children hate me, thank God LOL Don't worry, it'll work out :)

I also have great news about breastfeeding, each time your milk lets down while nursing, you will feel more relaxed than you ever have in your life! AMAZING feeling for a person with OCD, let me tell you! And if you are normally an insomniac, this will be the best sleep you've ever had in your life. You just can't get that with a bottle.

Also, the baby will go longer and longer between nursing very quickly, so just remember that in the early days when you're exhausted.

We're almost there, Girl, there is light at the end of the pregnancy tunnel!

sherri ewing